PELLA, Iowa – The Simpson track and field teams crowned two champions and turned in several solid performances at the Central Open on Saturday.
Jamie Elbert won the 800-meter run and John Warnke bested the field in the 3,000-meter steeplechase to lead the Storm.
- Elbert won the 800 (2:21.88) and came in third in the 1500 (4:51.95)
- The 4x400-meter relay team of April Sigmund, Lauren Martin, Bayley Fleshner and Sammy Nelson placed second in a season-best time of 4:03.39
- The 4x100-meter relay team of Fleshner, Martin, Sarah Ney and Jordan Maher came in third in a season-best time of 49.62
- Fleshner ran a season-best time of 14.97 to place second in the 100-meter hurdles
- Simpson had a host of fourth-place finishes, coming from Martin (100m, 12.974), Ney (200m, 26.57), April Sigmund (400m, 60.38), Lindsey Borgomainerio (800m, 2:24.81) and Jordan Maher (100mH, 15.75) … Sigmund's effort was a season-best while Martin, Ney, Borgomainerio and Maher set new career marks
- Warnke won the steeplechase, finishing in a career-best time of 9:51.24
- The 4x400-meter relay team of Brice Sheeder, Leif Jeppson, Mark Lahart and Anthony Burton placed fourth in 3:25.47
- Sheeder came in fifth and set a career-mark in the 800, finishing in 1:58.24
- Mitchell Davis set a new personal record in the 1500, finishing in 4:07.27 to place fifth
- Freshman Andrew Mayes ran a lifetime-best 9:30.49 in the 3,000 meters to place sixth
The Storm have a big week to look forward to as they will be sending athletes to the Drake Relays and will host the Kip Janvrin Open on Thursday-Friday, April 25-26. The senior will be recognized at the Kip Janvrin on Friday.