DUBUQUE, Iowa – John Cord placed second in the triple jump and Bayley Fleshner took third in the 100-meter hurdles to lead Simpson on the final day of the 2013 Iowa Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships on Saturday.
The men placed sixth with 58 points and the women placed seventh with 46. Wartburg won both the men's and women's titles.
- Cord capped off a stellar meet with a second-place showing in the triple jump, reaching 46-feet, 1 1/4 inches. He finished the meet accounting for 29 of Simpson's 58 points. He scored 24 points individually and helped the 4x100-meter relay team to a fourth-place effort.
- Joe Farrand placed fourth in the 1500, crossing the finish line in 4:00.67
- The 4x100-meter relay team of Brad Vogel, Cord, Tyler Kenny and Aaron Arment placed fourth in 42.65.
- After posting the No. 7 qualifying time Friday, Arment placed fourth in the 100-meter dash in 11.20.
- Jake Sutton and John Warnke placed fourth and fifth, respectively, in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. Sutton – who placed second last year – ran a 9:43.29 while Warnke finished in 9:46.83.
- The 4x400-meter relay team of Brice Sheeder, Anthony Burton, Cord and Leif Jeppsonplaced fifth (3:22.79).
- Sheeder placed sixth in the 400 meters (50.18).
- Fleshner gave the women's team its top individual finish, taking third in the 100-meter hurdles in a season-best time of 14.80. Jordan Maher came in sixth (15.88).
- The 4x100-meter relay team of Fleshner, Lauren Martin, Sarah Ney and Maher took third in a season-best time of 48.61.
- Maher added a fourth-place effort in the discus throw (137-10) and April Sigmund came in fourth in the 400 (59.29).
- Sammy Nelson came in fifth in the 400-meter hurdles (1:06.34) and Mary Doherty tied for fifth in the pole vault (9-00 1/2).
- Ney placed seventh in the 200 meters (26.40) and Jamie Elbert took seventh in the 1500 (4:56.36).
- Shelby King took eighth in the 3,000-meter steeplechase (12:55.78).