Surface: FieldTurf Revolution
Renamed in honor of longtime Simpson and Indianola benefactor William Buxton III '28 in 1998, the stadium is home to Storm football, soccer and track and field teams. Simpson football teams have played in the field's current location since 1949. In 1950, the facility was named Neff Field after L.N. Neff. Prior to that, the football team played on a field located South of Buxton Park.
The centerpiece of Simpson's campus, the stadium seats 5,000 fans and features state-of-the-art playing surfaces. The track and turf inside the stadium were installed in the summer of 2011 and are unlike any other in the Midwest.
The football field sports a FieldTurf Revolution playing surface, designed to be the highest performing and most innovative turf in the industry. Simpson was the first college in the state to install a synthetic grass field in 2001 and is now the only school in the Midwest with FieldTurf Revolution. Prior to 2001 the football teams played on natural grass.
An eight-lane track surrounds the stadium. The track, also new in 2011, is a full-pour, 10 millimeter surface from Beynon, the same company which installed a new track at the University of Iowa in 2010.
The stadium's exterior received a facelift in the summers of 2009 and 2010. The North and South entrances have beautiful, brick ticket booths and wrought iron fencing encloses the complex. The South entrance also features a gateway donning Simpson red and gold.
Previous enhancements included: concrete and fencing installation in 2007, a new scoreboard/message board and remodeled press box in 2005 and stand-alone concession stand and bathroom facility in 1997.
In addition to home football and soccer games, Buxton Staduim is the home of the Kip Janvrin Open, one of the largest outdoor track meets in the Midwest with up to 1,500 entries per season. The meet - renamed in 2006 in honor of the Olympic Decathlete - parallels the first day of the world-renowned Drake Relays in Des Moines.