CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Simpson volleyball players Megan LeMay and Ariana Martinez have been named American Rivers Conference Players of the Week for the period ending Sunday, Sept. 16, the league office announced Tuesday. LeMay is the league's offensive player of the week while Martinez is the league's co-defensive player of the week.
The duo helped the Storm go 2-3 in five matches last week, including a three-set win over Central in the American Rivers Conference opener. The sweep was Simpson's first over Central in a regular season conference match since 2006.
Simpson hosts Iowa Wesleyan in non-conference action Thursday, Sept. 20.
A-R-C Offensive Player of the Week
• Freshman middle hitter from Oakdale, Minn.
• Led Simpson in kills (41), attack percentage (.340) and total blocks (9) in five matches
• Averaged 2.28 kills per set to go along with four service aces
• Tallied eight kills at a .357 clip in the win over Central
• LeMay is the first Simpson player to earn the honor since Jacque Luth on Oct. 2, 2016
A-R-C Defensive Player of the Week
• Sophomore libero from Canyon Lake, Texas
• Averaged 4.17 digs per set in five matches
• Posted double figure digs in four of five matches with a high of 21 against Saint Benedict on Sept. 14
• Leads the conference with 235 total digs
• Martinez is the first Simpson player to earn the honor since Olivia Sulentic on Oct. 4, 2015