PELLA, Iowa -- Emily King was the lone winner for the Simpson women's tennis team as the squad ended its spring season on Sunday at Central with an 8-1 loss.
King was in a battle during the No. 1 singles match and went the distance in three sets. After falling in the opener 6-1, the freshman was able to slip by 6-4 to even it. The third and deciding set with for 28 games, with King walking away triumphant at 15-13 to win.
Danielle Bates narrowly escaped No. 4 singles with a win after taking the first set, 6-4. Bates lost 6-1 in the second and made it a contest in the third, but could not hang on and lost 11-9 to fall.
Megan Grubb was defeated at No. 2 singles while winning four games during her two sets of action.
The Dutch swept all three matches in doubles and only gave up seven games while blanking one match.
1. Emily King (SIM) def. Jenna Stewart 1-6, 6-4, 15-13
2. Sarah Schirm (CEN) def. Megan Grubb, 6-1, 6-3
3. Laurynn Mize (CEN) def. Kelly Kuebler, 6-2, 6-0
4. Alyssa Lewton (CEN) def. Danielle Bates, 4-6, 6-1, 11-9
5. Katie Larson (CEN) def. Lorin Miller, 6-0, 6-0
6. Cassidy Bos (CEN) def. Kathryn Hays, 6-1, 6-0
1. Bronwyn Metcalf/Maddie Hartley (CEN) def. Emily King/Megan Grubb, 8-3
2. Kirsten Jordan/Macy Scharff (CEN) def. Kelly Kuebler/Danielle Bates, 8-4
3. Sami Thompson/Alivia Gerstein (CEN) def. Lorin Miller/Kathryn Hays, 8-0