INDIANOLA, Iowa -- Simpson aims to even the season series with Coe on Wednesday after falling short in Cedar Rapids earlier in the season. The American Rivers Conference showdown begins at 5:30 p.m. inside Cowles Fieldhouse.
The Storm (16-5, 8-4 A-R-C) tallied their 38th-straight win over Central, defeating the Dutch 95-63 on Saturday. The Kohawks (12-9, 7-5 A-R-C) are coming off a tough 74-53 loss against No. 13 Loras over the weekend.
The game will be video streamed live on SimpsonAthletics.com as Bryan Geelan has the call as pregame begins at 5:20 p.m. Fans can also access the video stream via the American Rivers application on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Android TV.
COE SERIES NOTES
Simpson and Coe meet for the 61st time in a series that dates back to the 1977-78 season ... the Storm own a 46-14 lead and have won three out of the last four ... in the last matchup, the Kohawks snapped the three-game losing skid with a 71-61 victory over Simpson ... the games have been tight as of late as two of the last four meetings have gone into overtime ... since losing four in a row to Coe from 2013-15, Simpson has only lost four times to the Kohawks since then.
Dec. 4, 2019 — L, 71-61 (Cedar Rapids)
Feb. 16, 2019 — W, 78-76 (Cedar Rapids)
Jan. 19, 2019 — W, 78-73 (Indianola)
Feb. 20, 2018 — W, 90-85 (Cedar Rapids)
Feb. 17, 2018 — L, 87-59 (Indianola)
ABOUT THE KOHAWKS
Coe and third-year head coach Kayla Waskow come into the contest with a 12-9 record and are currently fifth in the A-R-C standings at 7-5 ... the Kohawks are coming off a 74-53 loss to No. 13 Loras on Saturday ... the defense has been the backbone to the team's success this year and is second in the conference in allowing opponents to net 61.4 points per outing ... the offense is eighth in scoring at 64.9 ... Jackie Feldt leads the team in scoring and is fifth in the conference with 14.1 points per contest.
LAST TIME OUT
Simpson earned its 38th-straight victory over Central on Saturday in a 95-63 contest ... the Storm led 27-6 after the first frame with seven different players scoring ... Simpson extended its lead to 41 halfway through the final quarter to cruise to the triumph on the road ... The offense tallied more than 20 assists for the first time since Jan. 8 ... four starters reached double figures, highlighted by Jenna Taylor's 21 points and 10 rebounds for her second double-double of the year.
Loras and Wartburg both lead the A-R-C with just two losses ... Luther ranks third while Simpson remains fourth with four losses and Coe is in fifth at 7-5 ... Central comes in at sixth at 4-8 and Dubuque follows in seventh at 3-9, then Nebraska Wesleyan follows in eighth and Buena Vista rounds out the league standings.
• Simpson in the national rankings:
1st — 3-point shooting (40.0%)
3rd — field goal percentage (47.4%)
5th — scoring offense (81.8 ppg)
11th — 3-pointers made per game (9.5)
12th — 3-pointers made (199)
13th — total points (1,717), assists per game (17.2)
17th — assists (362)
20th — free throw percentage (74.8%)
26th — steals (265)
27th — scoring margin (17.0)
• Storm in the national rankings:
Kia Rasmussen — first in 3-point percentage (52.1%)
Cassie Chubb — eighth in 3-point percentage (45.5%), 27th in 3-pointers made per game (2.80)
Cameron Kincaid — 23rd in free throw percentage (86.2%)
Claire Johnson — 21st in assists (105), 26th in assists per game (5.0)
• Simpson is second in the conference in field goal percentage at 47.4% and in scoring offense by averaging 81.8 ppg.
• All five starters are averaging double figures for scoring with Cassie Chubb at the top with 12.7 ppg. Kia Rasmussen and Cassie Nash are tied for second at 11.8, followed by Cameron Kincaid (11.3), and Claire Johnson rounds out the starters at 10.4.
• Jenna Taylor became the second Storm to garner American Rivers Conference Athlete of the Week honors on Monday, Feb. 10 for her performance in the win at Central.
• Simpson snapped its winning streak of 11 games on Jan. 29 for its longest since winning 13 in a row during the 2012-13 season.
• Head coach Brian Niemuth earned his 600th career victory on Dec. 21 in a 76-69 victory over Millikin. Niemuth became the ninth active women's basketball head coach in the NCAA Division III to hit the 600-win plateau.
The Storm travel to Waverly, Iowa this Saturday to take on No. 9 Wartburg for a 2 p.m. contest.