INDIANOLA, Iowa -- After securing its seventh win in a row last Saturday, the Simpson women's basketball look to extend the streak on Wednesday at Buena Vista. The game is slated to start at 5:30 p.m. in Storm Lake, Iowa.
The Storm (11-3, 3-2 A-R-C) went over .500 in conference play with a 72-59 victory over Central on Saturday for the team's 37th-straight triumph in the series against the Dutch. The Beavers (1-14, 0-6 A-R-C) lost 76-63 at Dubuque for their seventh league defeat in a row, dating back to last season.
Fans can access the video stream via the American Rivers application on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Android TV or by visiting SimpsonAthletics.com to find the video link.
BUENA VISTA SERIES NOTES
The Storm and Beavers meet for the 85th time in a series that began in 1976-77 ... Simpson owns a 52-32 mark over Buena Vista, but the Beavers have prevailed at home with a 20-18 record ... the Storm have had success as of late by winning four of the last five games after falling in back-to-back meetings ... in the two matchups last year, Simpson outscored Buena Vista by an average of 24 points during the two victories ... Jenna Taylor averaged 23.5 ppg against the Beavers in 2018-19.
Jan. 23, 2019 — W, 75-53 (Storm Lake)
Dec. 5, 2018 — W, 82-56 (Indianola)
Jan. 28, 2018 — L, 74-62 (Storm Lake)
Nov. 29, 2017 — W, 57-48 (Indianola)
Feb. 1, 2017 — W, 81-68 (Indianola)
ABOUT THE BEAVERS
Buena Vista and first-year head coach David Wells enter the game at 1-14 and 0-6 in American Rivers Conference action ... the Beavers captured their lone win of the season in a 65-64 overtime thriller at Nebraska Christian College on Nov. 19 ... the offense is last in the conference in scoring at 59.2 ppg, but is only allowing 77.5 ppg for seventh ... Destiny Einerwood is currently third in the league in scoring at 16.5 ppg to pace the offense and Erin Gerke is the second Buena Vista player to average double figures at 11.8 ppg.
LAST TIME OUT
After being down by two points after the first quarter, Simpson rallied to win 72-59 over Central on Saturday to claim its 37-straight victory over the Dutch ... a 23-13 second quarter propelled the Storm out in front to grab some breathing room ... four starters tallied double figures, while Cameron Kincaid ended with a team-high 17 points on 9-for-9 from the charity stripe.
• Simpson in the national rankings:
1st — 3-point shooting (41.6%)
2nd — field goal percentage (49.1%)
4th — scoring offense (84.0 ppg)
6th — 3-pointers made (138), total points (1,176)
7th — assists (255)
8th — assists per game (18.2)
• Storm in the national rankings:
Kia Rasmussen — second in 3-point percentage (55.7)
Cassie Chubb — ninth in 3-pointers made (42), 11th in 3-point percentage (46.2), 16th in 3-pointers made per game (3.0)
Claire Johnson — 12th in assists (77), 16th in assists per game (5.5)
Cameron Kincaid — 18th in free throw percentage (89.2)
• Simpson is second in the conference in scoring at 84.0 ppg and fourth in scoring defense by allowing 65.2 ppg.
• All five starters are averaging double figures for scoring with Cassie Chubb at the top with 14.1 ppg. Cassie Nash and Cameron Kincaid are tied at second with 11.8, followed by Kia Rasmussen (11.5) and Claire Johnson (10.5).
• The Storm tied their season-high 20 steals in the win over Central on Saturday. Johnson had a career-high nine in the victory.
• Head coach Brian Niemuth earned his 600th career victory on Dec. 21 in a 76-69 victory over Millikin. Niemuth became the ninth active women's basketball head coach in the NCAA Division III to hit the 600-win plateau.
If the league standings hold through Wednesday, the Storm will face the No. 1 squad in the conference, Luther, on Saturday at 2 p.m. in Decorah, Iowa.