INDIANOLA, Iowa -- The Simpson women's basketball team looks to extend its winning streak to six games as the Storm visit Nebraska Wesleyan on Saturday for a 5:30 p.m. American Rivers Conference showdown.
Simpson (9-3, 1-2 A-R-C) went 2-0 at the Music City Classic last week after securing wins over New Paltz (88-60) and Washington and Lee (83-71) to end 2019. The Prairie Wolves (5-6, 2-2 A-R-C) suffered a 102-72 defeat to No. 19 Loras on Saturday, Jan. 4.
Fans can access the video stream via the American Rivers application on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Android TV or by visiting SimpsonAthletics.com to find the video link.
NEBRASKA WESLEYAN SERIES NOTES
The Storm and Prairie Wolves meet for the 19th time in a series that began during the 1983-84 campaign ... Simpson started the head-to-head series with 10 straight victories, but have been in a slump as of late by splitting the last nine contests ... the teams last met in the opening round of the American Rivers Conference Tournament on Feb. 19, 2019, with the Storm claiming a 92-72 victory at home ... of Simpson's four losses to the Prairie Wolves, three games have been separated by three points or less.
Feb. 19, 2019 — W, 92-72 (Indianola)
Feb. 6, 2019 — L, 82-80 (Lincoln)
Jan. 9, 2019 — W, 84-58 (Indianola)
Jan. 27, 2018 — L, 85-84 (Indianola)
Dec. 2, 2017 — W, 108-73 (Lincoln)
ABOUT THE PRAIRIE WOLVES
Nebraska Wesleyan is led by senior Caitlin Navratil as she is scoring 25.9 ppg to top the conference and is currently third in the country ... Navratil was just named to the D3hoops.com NCAA III Women's Basketball Team of the Week for the second time this year and was selected as the American Rivers Conference Female Athlete of the Week for the third time after scoring a career-high 40 points in the loss to No. 19 Loras ... the Prairie Wolves fell 102-72 to the Duhawks and have lost two league games in a row after starting the conference slate with two wins ... as a unit, the squad is fourth in the conference in scoring (78.2) and ninth in scoring defense (86.6).
LAST TIME OUT
Freshman Cassie Nash scored a career-best 26 points in the team's win over Washington and Lee on Dec. 30 to close out the 2019 portion of Simpson's schedule ... Nash's 26 points are the most by a Storm player since Jenna Taylor scored 27 in the team's 88-83 loss at Loras on Feb. 21, 2019 in the A-R-C Tournament Semifinals ... Cassie Chubb tallied her first double-double of the year with 12 points and 12 boards.
• Simpson is first in the nation in 3-point shooting (42.8%), second in field goal percentage (50.1%), fourth in 3-pointers made (122), and seventh in assists (222), assists per game (18.5) and scoring offense (83.4 ppg).
• The Storm have connected on 10-or-more triples in seven contests, with a season-best 15 against Dubuque.
• Kia Rasmussen is second in the country and first in the conference in 3-point shooting at 57.4%. Cassie Chubb is 22nd among NCAA Division III schools at 45.6%. Chubb paces the league in triples made (36) and 3-pointers made per game (3.0).
• All five starters are averaging double figures in scoring with Chubb at the top with 14.2 ppg. Cassie Nash is second with 11.8, followed by Rasmussen (11.3), Cameron Kincaid (10.7) and Claire Johnson (10.4).
• During the team's five-game winning streak, Simpson is outscoring its opponents 85.4 to 61.8, with its closest margin of victory coming at seven points.
• Head coach Brian Niemuth earned his 600th career victory on Dec. 21, 2019 in a 76-69 victory over Millikin. Niemuth became the ninth active women's basketball head coach in the NCAA Division III to hit the 600-win plateau.
Simpson returns to Cowles Fieldhouse on Saturday for a 2 p.m. affair with Central.