INDIANOLA, Iowa -- The Simpson women's basketball team will face off against Nebraska Wesleyan on Wednesday for the 17th all-time meeting to end a stretch of four games in seven days. The contest is slated to begin at 6 p.m. in Lincoln, Neb.
The Storm (17-5, 9-4 American Rivers) got back in the win column on Monday after losing their previous two contests and moved into third place in the conference after securing a 65-55 win over Luther. The Prairie Wolves (11-10, 6-6 A-R-C) clipped Buena Vista to win 71-68 on Saturday.
The game will be video streamed live on NWUSports.com. Fans can also access the video stream via the American Rivers application on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Android TV.
NEBRASKA WESLEYAN SERIES NOTES
Simpson and Loras continue its series on Monday in the 84th matchup that dates back to the 1976-77 season … the Storm own a 46-37 record, but the Norse have won the last 8 of 10 in the series … both teams met on Dec. 3, 2018 earlier in the season, with the Storm winning 81-64 to pick up their first conference win of the season … the scoring is fairly equal in the series as Simpson is scoring 68.6 ppg and Luther is racking up 65.3 ppg.
Jan. 9, 2019 — W, 84-58 (Indianola)
Jan. 27, 2018 — L, 85-84 (Indianola)
Dec. 2, 2017 — W, 108-73 (Lincoln)
Feb. 4, 2017 — L, 95-71 (Lincoln)
ABOUT THE PRAIRIE WOLVES
With the series beginning in the 1983-84 season, both teams have started to play each other on a regular basis in the 2015-16 campaign … Simpson owns a 13-3 record over Nebraska Wesleyan, while both teams have split each of the last six meetings … the two teams met up on Jan. 9, 2019 inside Cowles Fieldhouse and the Storm tallied a 26-point victory to win 84-58 … Jenna Taylor scored 25 points in the blowout.
LAST TIME OUT
The Storm went on a 15-2 run to seal the win against Luther and outscored the Norse 27-15 in the fourth quarter … Luther was ahead after the first three quarters, but could not hold on in the final minutes … Simpson went to the free throw line 29 times and made 23 of the attempts, the makes were crucial down the stretch as the team went 14 of 15 from the line in the fourth … the Prairie Wolves were tied at 68-68 with under-30 seconds remaining on Saturday against Buena Vista … with only two seconds of the clock, Klaire Phillips attempted a 3-pointer, but was fouled on the play … Philips was able to sink all three free throws and the Beavers heaved up a shot at the buzzer that missed.
- Simpson has made 230 3-pointers through 21 games and surpassed the school record of 216 set during the 2011-12 season.
The Storm snapped a stretch of five-straight games by making at least 10 3-pointers and have had the feat in the last 10 of 12 contests.
- Simpson's 20 3-pointers against Dubuque on Jan. 5 are the second-most by a team in Division III this season. Westminster (Mo.) surpassed the Storm's mark with 21 treys against MacMurray on Jan. 16.
- The Storm rank second in Division III with 230 3-pointers made, rank fourth with 10.4 3-pointers per game and rank seventh in 3-point percentage (38.1).
- Jenna Taylor currently sits in fourth in Division III by shooting 48.6 percent from behind the arc.
- Simpson also boasts one of the best total offenses in the nation, averaging 79.5 ppg, 10th in Division III and first in the conference.
- Janey Botkins is creeping in on third all-time in career 3-pointers made. Botkins now has 162 and is one away from tying Morgan Mauro, who made 163 between 2012-16.
- Simpson broke out of its slump of attracting free throw shots in a big way. On Monday, the team went 23 of 29 from the line. At the charity stripe, the team is averaging 11.5 makes per game on 15.1 attempts to lead the conference with a 76.0 free throw percentage.
- Cameron Kincaid leads the American Rivers Conference and ranks ninth in Division III in free throw percentage (88.9).
Simpson takes a week off from competition and returns to action on Wednesday, Feb. 13. The Storm host Central for senior night. Tip-off will begin at 6 p.m.