INDIANOLA, Iowa -- After playing the top team in the American Rivers Conference on Thursday, the Simpson women's basketball team will travel to play second-place Loras on Saturday at 2 p.m.
The Storm (16-4, 8-3) had their hands full on Thursday against Wartburg and it was too much to handle as the Knights left Cowles Fieldhouse with an 88-73 victory. Loras rolled over Dubuque on Wednesday, 104-48.
The game will be video streamed live on the Duhawk Broadcast Network at Duhawks.com. Andrew Swadner and Rick Wilson will have the call for the audio stream on KNIAKRLS.com.
LORAS SERIES NOTES
Simpson and Loras will meet for the 73rd time on Saturday and the Storm own a 46-26 advantage … the Duhawks have the last 5 of 6 in the series and have outscored Simpson by 13.8 ppg during those victories … the Storm have an even 16-16 record on the road in the series and look to go over .500.
Jan. 2, 2019 — L, 76-67 (Indianola)
Feb. 14, 2018 — L, 86-69 (Dubuque)
Jan. 6, 2018 —W, 80-72 (Indianola)
Jan. 25, 2017 — L, 80-63 (Indianola)
ABOUT THE DUHAWKS
The Duhawks and 11th-year head coach, Justin Heinzen, have won two games in a row and the last 13 of 14 … Loras is second in both scoring offense (78.0 ppg) and defense (62.9 ppg) … the Duhawks have two players averaging a shade over 13 points per game, Marissa Schroeder and Riley Eckhart.
LAST TIME OUT
The Storm were able to grab a one-point lead over Wartburg with six minutes to go on Thursday, but a 20-5 run by the Knights put the game out of reach for good … Simpson scored all 15 points in the first quarter from behind the arc. Cameron Kincaid led the team with 15 points and shot 6 of 11 from the floor, while three baskets were from three … in Loras' blowout win over Dubuque on Wednesday, Marissa Schroeder had 23 points and 10 rebounds.
- This is the best start the Storm has had to a season since the team went 27-3 in 2012-13. It took until Feb. 2, 2013 for Simpson to garner its second loss of the year.
- Simpson's 20 3-pointers against Dubuque on Jan. 5 are the second-most by a team in Division III this season. Westminster (Mo.) surpassed the Storm's mark with 21 treys against MacMurray on Jan. 16.
- The Storm rank third in Division III with 205 3-pointers made, rank sixth with 10.3 3-pointers per game and rank 12th in 3-point percentage (38.1).
- Simpson has made 205 3-pointers through 20 games and is on pace to crush the school record of 216 set during the 2011-12 season. Simpson has made at least 10 3-pointers in nine of the last 10 games and is 8-2 when making 10-or-more 3s this season.
- Simpson also boasts one of the best total offenses in the nation, averaging 80.3 ppg, seventh in Division III and first in the conference.
- The Storm have also been stout on defense, recording at least 10 steals in all but two games this season. Simpson is a perfect 12-0 when snagging at least 12 steals. Senior guard Rachel Freland leads the team with 60 steals.
- Janey Botkins increased her career 3-point total to 157 and moved into fourth all-time in school history. Morgan Mauro (163 from 2012-16) is third all-time.
- Cameron Kincaid leads the American Rivers Conference and ranks fifth in Division III in free throw percentage (90.2).
After a short break away from home, the Storm host Luther on Monday for a 6 p.m. contest.