INDIANOLA, Iowa -- The Simpson Storm women's basketball team aims for its sixth win in a row when Dubuque visits on Saturday for an American Rivers Conference clash.
The Storm (15-3, 7-2) defeated Buena Vista 75-53 on Wednesday and were led by Jenna Taylor scoring 22 points and grabbing 12 rebounds. Kia Rasmussen chipped in 12 points and Cassie Chubb contributed 10. Janey Botkins moved into fourth all-time in made 3-pointers for Simpson after netting two in the win, she currently has 154 career makes. The Spartans (3-16, 1-9) fell 75-70 to Luther on Wednesday. Jaden Kelly had 18 points and Abigail Zurcher had 16.
The game will be video streamed live on SimpsonAthletics.com, where Bryan Geelan will have the call. Andrew Swadner and Rick Wilson will have the call for the audio stream on KNIAKRLS.com. Fans can also access the video stream via the American Rivers application on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Android TV.
DUBUQUE SERIES NOTES
Simpson and Dubuque met earlier in the year on Jan. 5 and the Storm claimed a 102-65 victory on the road … the series has been even as of late, with the team's splitting the season series a year ago ... Simpson owns a 69-9 advantage of the Spartans and have won the last 8 of 12 against Dubuque.
Jan. 5, 2019 — W, 102-65 (Dubuque)
Jan. 24, 2018— W, 85-65 (Indianola)
Dec. 6, 2017 — L, 88-86 (Dubuque)
Feb. 8, 2017 — L, 83-81 (Indianola)
ABOUT THE SPARTANS
The Spartans and 12th-year head coach Mark Noll have dropped three games in a row and the last 6 of 7, all coming in American Rivers Conference play … Kia Dwight paces the team with 10.7 ppg and Miah Smith has been the leader on the glass and leads the A-R-C with 8.8 rpg … Dubuque owns a 1-8 record on the road this season.
LAST TIME OUT
The Storm exploded for a 22-point win over Buena Vista on Wednesday … during the first half, both teams were going back and forth with the lead, before Jenna Taylor ignited a 10-0 charge that helped Simpson take a 32-24 tilt into intermission … coming out of the break, the Beavers clawed back to within one, but the Storm would hold the lead for the remainder of the game … in the final quarter, five-different Simpson players scored during an 11-0 run to put the game out of reach.
- Simpson's 20 3-pointers against Dubuque on Jan. 5 are the second-most by a team in Division III this season. Westminster (Mo.) surpassed the Storm's mark with 21 treys against MacMurray on Jan. 16.
- The Storm rank tied for sixth in Division III with 10.0 3-pointers per game and rank 10th in 3-point percentage (37.7).
- Simpson has made 180 3-pointers through 18 games and is on pace to crush the school record of 216 set during the 2011-12 season. Simpson has made at least 10 3-pointers in seven of the last eight games and is 7-1 when making 10-or-more 3s this season.
- Simpson also boasts one of the best total offenses in the nation, averaging 80.4 ppg, seventh in Division III..
- The Storm have also been stout on defense, recording at least 10 steals in all but two games this season. Simpson is a perfect 11-0 when snagging at least 12 steals. Senior guard Rachel Freland leads the team with 52 steals.
- Janey Botkins increased her career 3-point total to 154 and moved into fourth all-time in school history. She needed just one to tie Tiffany Whitsell (153 from 1999-2003) for fourth before last game against Buena Vista. Morgan Mauro (163 from 2012-16) is third all-time.
- Cameron Kincaid leads the American Rivers and ranks 10th in Division III in free throw percentage (88.9).
The Storm host Wartburg on Wednesday for another A-R-C showdown. The Knights won 83-69 in the early-season matchup and Simpson looks to even the season series. Tipoff is set for 6 p.m.