INDIANOLA, Iowa -- The Simpson Storm women's basketball team returns to Cowles Fieldhouse for an early-evening contest with Coe on Saturday. The American Rivers Conference clash begins at 5 p.m.
The Storm return home after making a short trek to Pella on Wednesday, when they defeated Central 61-48. The Kohawks escaped with an 85-83 win against Nebraska Wesleyan.
The game will be video streamed live on SimpsonAthletics.com, where Bryan Geelan will have the call. Andrew Swadner and Rick Wilson will have the call for the audio stream on KNIAKRLS.com. Fans can also access the video stream via the American Rivers application on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Android TV.
Coe (10-6, 4-3) at Simpson (13-3, 5-2)
Saturday, Jan. 19 | 5 p.m.
Cowles Fieldhouse | Indianola, Iowa
Live Audio | Live Video/Live Stats
COE SERIES NOTES
Simpson and Coe are meeting for the 58th time in the series, with the Storm owning a 44-13 advantage … the Kohawks beat Simpson 87-58 on Feb. 14 of last year, but the Storm avenged the loss three days later with a 90-85 win in the opening round of the Iowa Conference Tournament.
Feb. 17, 2018 — W, 90-85 (Cedar Rapids)*
Feb. 14, 2018 — L, 87-58 (Indianola)
Jan. 19, 2018 — L, 71-56 (Cedar Rapids)
Jan. 21, 2017 — W, 64-61 (Cedar Rapids)
ABOUT THE KOHAWKS
Coe is led by second-year head coach Kayla Waskow, who already has 24 wins under her belt … the Kohawks have two players averaging just over 14 points per game in Jackie Feldt and Madeline Wilkins … Wilkins is first in the conference in three-point percentage at 42.7 percent … the squad ranks fifth in the conference in scoring (67.0 ppg) and third in scoring defense (61.8 ppg).
LAST TIME OUT
Cameron Kincaid and Cassie Chubb both scored in double figures to lead the Storm to a 61-48 victory over Central on Wednesday. Simpson climbed to a 21-point advantage during the third quarter against the Dutch, before the hosts trimmed it to within nine. The Storm began the fourth quarter with the nine-point run and were able to push it to as much as 15 after a Chubb free throw.
- Simpson's 20 3-pointers against Dubuque on Jan. 5 are the second-most by a team in Division III this season. Westminster (Mo.) surpassed the Storm's mark with 21 treys against MacMurray on Jan. 16.
- The Storm rank sixth in Division III with 10.0 3-pointers per game and rank 13th in 3-point percentage (37.6).
- Simpson has made 160 3-pointers through 16 games and is on pace to crush the school record of 216 set during the 2011-12 season. Simpson has made at least 10 3-pointers in five of the last six games and is 5-1 when making 10-or-more 3s this season.
- Simpson also boasts one of the best total offenses in the nation, averaging 80.5 ppg, sixth in Division III.
- Jenna Taylor came one-point shy of pushing her streak of scoring in double figures to 19 in the win over Central. The last time the junior scored in single digits was when she was held to eight points at Loras on Feb. 14, 2018.
- The Storm have also been stout on defense, recording at least 10 steals in all but two games this season. Simpson is a perfect 9-0 when snagging at least 12 steals. Senior guard Rachel Freland leads the team with 46 steals.
- Janey Botkins increased her career 3-point total to 150, currently fifth in school history. She needs just three to tie Tiffany Whitsell (153 from 1999-2003) for fourth. Morgan Mauro (163 from 2012-16) is third all-time.
- Cameron Kincaid leads the American Rivers and ranks seventh in Division III in free throw percentage (89.8).
Simpson hits the road again for a matchup at Buena Vista on Wednesday, Jan. 23. The game is slated to begin at 6 p.m.