INDIANOLA, Iowa -- The Simpson Storm women's basketball team returns to action after a weekend off when it travels to face the Central Dutch on Wednesday, Jan. 16 in American Rivers Conference action. Start time is set for 6 p.m. in Pella.
Simpson beat Nebraska Wesleyan 84-58 last Wednesday behind 25 points from Jenna Taylor. Central lost to Luther 66-40 on the road.
Andrew Swadner and Cory Houser will have the call on KNIAKRLS.com. Fans can also watch the action on athletics.central.edu or access the game via the American Rivers application on Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV and Android TV.
CENTRAL SERIES NOTES
Simpson and Central are meeting for the 90th time in a series that dates back to the 1975-76 season … Simpson leads the series 59-30 and has won 34 in a row … Central's last win in the series was a 66-64 triumph on Feb. 2, 2002 … the Storm boast an average margin of victory of 24 points during the streak.
Feb. 7, 2018 — W, 86-58 (Indianola)
Jan. 17, 2018 — W, 89-74 (Pella)
Feb. 11, 2017 — W, 77-68 (Pella)
Jan. 18, 2017 — W, 73-65 (Indianola)
ABOUT THE DUTCH
Central and second-year head coach Joe Steinkamp have already equaled their highest conference win total since 2013-14 season thanks to wins over Dubuque and Buena Vista … the Dutch are led by freshman guard Jenna Clark (12.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg) and junior forward Kendall Brown (11.2 ppg, 7.9 rpg) … Maci Gambell led the way with 15 points in the loss to Luther … Central ranks ninth in the league in scoring (57.4 ppg) and third in defense (61.5 ppg).
LAST TIME OUT
Jenna Taylor scored 25 points, Janey Botkins made five 3-pointers and the Storm recovered from a slow start to beat Nebraska Wesleyan 84-58 on Wednesday. Rachel Freland added 12 points as Simpson won its second game in a row.
- Simpson's 20 3-pointers against Dubuque on Jan. 5 remains the most in Division III this season.
- The Storm rank sixth in Division III with 10.1 3-pointers per game and rank fourth in 3-point percentage (38.8).
- Simpson has made 152 3-pointers through 15 games and is on pace to crush the school record of 216 set during the 2011-12 season. Simpson has made at least 10 3-pointers in the last five games and is 5-1 when making 10-or-more 3s this season.
- Simpson also boasts one of the best total offenses in the nation, averaging 81.8 ppg, sixth in Division III.
- The Storm have also been stout on defense, recording at least 10 steals in all but two games this season. Simpson is a perfect 8-0 when snagging at least 12 steals. Senior guard Rachel Freland leads the team with 45 steals.
- Jenna Taylor reached double figures for the 18th straight game when she put up 25 against Nebraska Wesleyan. The junior from Creston is second in the league in scoring (18.2 ppg) and third in rebounding (7.5).
- Sophomore Cameron Kincaid is among the best free throw shooters in the nation. At 89.4 percent on the season, she leads the American Rivers and ranks seventh in Division III.
- Janey Botkins increased her career 3-point total to 149, currently fifth in school history. She needs just four to tie Tiffany Whitsell (153 from 1999-2003) for fourth. Morgan Mauro (163 from 2012-16) is third all-time.
- Cassie Chubb continued her breakout season with 10 points and seven rebounds against Nebraska Wesleyan. She averages 9.4 points and 6.2 rebounds this season after putting up just 2.1 and 1.1 a year ago.
Simpson returns home to host Coe on Saturday, Jan. 19. Due to Simpson hosting the American Rivers Conference Wrestling Duals earlier that day, start time will be 5 p.m. at Cowles Fieldhouse.