INDIANOLA, Iowa -- Jenna Taylor posted a 21-point, 10-rebound double-double and the Simpson women's basketball team shot better than 50-percent from the field in a 100-65 win over Millikin in the season opener Sunday at Cowles Fieldhouse.
Madie Bacon added 12 points off the bench for the Storm (1-0), who scored their most points since December of last season. Jordan Hildebrand scored 15 points to lead the Big Blue (0-2), who were playing their second game in as many days.
Cameron Kincaid finished with 11 points, seven rebounds and two blocked shots, Janey Botkins had 10 points on 3-for-4 shooting from beyond the arc and point guard Claire Johnson filled the stat sheet with eight points, six assists and five rebounds for Simpson.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Simpson never trailed, taking a 2-0 lead on Taylor's layup 21 seconds into the game and holding off Millikin the rest of the way.
Millikin made a run in the third quarter when EC Thies hit a 3 to cap a 14-4 run, pulling the Big Blue within 62-48. Simpson ended any comeback hopes by scoring the first six points of the fourth quarter, growing the lead to 22 on a Kincaid layup.
- Taylor scored 13 of her 21 points in the third quarter, going 5-for-10 from the field and pulling down six boards in the frame.
- Simpson got strong bench play, outscoring the Millikin reserves 41-17.
- Simpson set the tone in the first half with some smothering defense, only allowing 23 points. The Storm accumulated 15 steals and five blocks throughout the game, while forcing the Big Blue into 27 turnovers.
- The Storm controlled the glass, winning the rebounding battle 42-29.
- Johnson and Maddie Glascock combined for 11 of the team's 22 assists. Johnson led the team with six and Glascock had five.
- Simpson shot 53 percent from the field and 40 percent from deep, improving off of their averages from last season of 46 and 38.
Simpson travels to face Saint Mary's (Minn.) in St. Joseph, Minn. on Friday, Nov. 16. Start time is set for 6 p.m.