The Simpson's women's basketball team competes in a split week, a non-conference game at home and one last conference game before the year is over. Simpson travels to Dubuque on Wednesday, Dec. 6 before hosting Kansas Christian at Cowles Fieldhouse on Friday, Dec. 8.
Wednesday, Dec. 6 — Simpson (5-2, 2-0 IIAC) at Dubuque (1-6, 0-2 IIAC)
Dubuque, Iowa | Stoltz Sports Center | 6 p.m.
Live Video (dbq.edu/athletics)
- The Storm are coming off a 2-0 week in which they beat Buena Vista 57-48 and handed Nebraska Wesleyan its first loss, 108-73. Senior Noreen Morrow earned a double-double in each contest, leaving Saturday's game with 21 points and 10 rebounds.
- Simson is off to a 2-0 start in conference play for the first time since 2012-13, the last year the Storm won the league title.
- Simpson reached a milestone win in the IIAC opener against Buena Vista as the Storm recorded the 700th win in program history. Simpson is now 701-360 in 44 years of varsity basketball, an impressive .661 winning percentage.
- The Storm reached the 100-point mark for the 34th time in program history with the team's 108-73 rout over Nebraska Wesleyan on Saturday. The effort is tied for ninth in the school record book behind last year's 109 points in a win over Kansas Christian. Simpson also put up 108 points against Trinity (Ill.) back in 1983-84.
- Simpson scored 66 points in the first half in Saturday's win over Nebraska Wesleyan, setting a new school record. The old record of 64 came in a win against Presentation on Nov. 24, 2007 and was tied against Crown on Dec. 10, 2010.
- Noreen Morrow posted back-to-back double-doubles last week, averaging 17 ppg and 10 rpg. The senior already has four double-doubles on the year and now has 19 in her career.
Overall: Simpson leads 67-8
Streak: Lost 1
Last meeting: Won 58-48, 1/11/17 at DBQ; Lost 83-81, 2/8/17 at SIM
First meeting: Won 77-49, 1980-81
Overall: Simpson leads 1-0
Streak: Won 1
Last meeting: Won 109-72, 12/10/16 at KAN
First meeting: Won 109-72, 2016-17
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
Dubuque — The Spartans (1-6, 0-2 IIAC) lost to Central 73-55 in Pella on Saturday, the team's second-straight conference loss. Forward Allison Biermeier was the only Spartan to reach double digits in points, finishing with 10 points and five rebounds during the night. Guard Abbie Meyer leads the Spartans with 15.8 ppg, but was held to eight against the Dutch. Dubuque's lone win came against Northland College, a 85-48 triumph on Nov. 25.
Kansas Christian — First year head coach Tim Scott starts off his debut at Kansas Christian rocky with a 0-7 start to the season. The Falcons are coming off a 79-35 loss to Manhattan Christian College on Dec. 1. Kansas Christian's best chance at a win came against Calvary Bible College in November, losing by a mere six points 49-43.