The Simpson women's basketball team travels to Las Vegas to compete in the D3hoops.com Classic on Dec. 28-29. The Storm will play Lewis & Clark on Wednesday and Puget Sound on Thursday at the South Point Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas.
Wednesday's tipoff against Lewis & Clark is set for 10 a.m. Pacific, Noon Central. Thursday's tipoff against Puget Sound is set for Noon Pacific, 2 p.m. Central.
The Storm (3-6) look to continue their recent string of success after winning their second-straight game, 62-39 over Iowa Wesleyan on Dec. 17. Lewis and Clark (7-2) beat Warner Pacific 73-56 on Monday, Dec. 19 and 23rd-ranked Puget Sound (8-1) beat Buena Vista 72-64 at the Pacific Lutheran Tournament on Dec. 18.
MATCHUP AT A GLANCE
Simpson—3-6, t-7th IIAC | 67.1 ppg | 38.6 rpg | 14.2 apg
Lewis & Clark—7-2, t-1st NWC | 74.2 ppg | 42.1 rpg | 16.1 apg
Puget Sound—8-1, t-1st NWC | 75.3 ppg | 45.4 rpg | 17.2 apg
Simpson—PTS: N. Morrow, 17.9 | REB: N. Morrow, 10.3 | AST: M. Lankford, 2.7
Lewis & Clark—PTS: A. Afolabi, 14.6 | REB: A. Afolabi, 9.4 | AST: J. Willie, 4.2
Puget Sound—PTS: S. Jackson/E. Prewitt, 16.6 | REB: A. Noren, 7.3 | AST: A. Noren, 4.0
5 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
• The Lewis & Clark Pioneers of Portland, Ore. compete in the Northwest Conference. The Pioneers and first-year head coach Pamela Findlay are enjoying a turnaround season, sitting at 7-2 overall after suffering through a 3-22 campaign a year ago. The play of 5-11 senior guard Ayisat Afolabio has been a big reason for the turnaround, as she leads the team in scoring (14.6 ppg) and rebounding (9.4 rpg) while shooting better than 54 percent from the field.
• The No. 23 Puget Sound Loggers of Tacoma, Wash. also compete in the Northwest Conference. The Loggers and seventh-year head coach Loree Payne are 8-1 on the season and have been ranked as high as No. 18 in the D3hoops.com Poll. Puget Sound suffered its lone setback on Dec. 17, a 68-65 loss to Trinity (Tex.). Samone Jackson (16.6 ppg) and Elizabeth Prewitt (16.6 ppg) lead a well-rounded offensive attack that features three players averaging 10-or-more points.
• The Storm have never played Lewis & Clark or Puget Sound on the basketball floor.
• Noreen Morrow enters the tournament as one of just two players in the IIAC averaging a double-double. She leads the league with 10.3 rebounds per game and ranks third in scoring at 17.9. She has reached double figures in scoring in each game this season and has five double-doubles on the year.
• The outside shooting of freshman guard Janey Botkins has been a big lift in the Storm's two-game winning streak. After hitting just 12 3-pointers in her first seven games, Botkins has 12 in the last two, going 7-for-11 in a 109-71 win over Kansas Christian and 5-for-11 in a 62-39 win over Iowa Wesleyan. Her seven 3s against KCC were one shy of tying the school record.