INDIANOLA, Iowa -- Josh Dietrich remained undefeated in the javelin throw and the Simpson men's track and field team had seven, top-10 individual finishes at the 13th Kip Janvrin Open on Friday, April 27 at Buxton Stadium.
The Storm sent five events to the Drake Relays over the weekend, highlighted by a big effort from Jordan Coughenour in the 400-meter hurdles.
Kip Janvrin Open Meet Highlights
• Dietrich's toss of 162-feet, 10-inches edged Doug Turner of Indian Hills by eight inches. Dietrich is now a perfect 5-for-5 in the event this outdoor season and currently owns the third-best toss in the Iowa Conference. Connor Warrick placed fourth with a personal-best toss of 150-feet, 5-inches, currently 11th in the IIAC.
• Jonathan Facio enjoyed a career-best effort in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, placing second in 9:45.13. He was edged by Wartburg's Aaron O'Leary in the final 100 meters, but his 9:45.13 is good for fifth in the IIAC.
• The distance duo of Ian McKenzie and Trey Thompson enjoyed a strong showing in the 5,000 meters. McKenzie placed fifth in 14:54.73, a personal-best and currently the No. 6 time in the conference. Thompson came in 14th, running a personal-best 15:10.70 for the No. 9 time in the IIAC.
Drake Relays Highlights
• Jordan Coughenour ran a season-best 53.60 to place 23rd in the 400 hurdles, currently the top time in the IIAC and the 12th-fastest time in Division III.
• The 4x400-meter relay of Coughenour, Tupper, Vittetoe and Kirk Wicks finished 20th in 3:19.55.
• Kalinay placed 11th in the 110 hurdles, running 14.65 in a field comprised almost entirely of Division I athletes.
• Tupper, Vittetoe, Fitch and Wicks placed 10th in the 4x200 relay, finishing in 1:28.65.
Kip Janvrin Open Meet Report
Top three finishers per event
28. Josh Paulson, 4:15.48
49. Calton Bowers, 4:36.82
9. Austin Greenwalt, 57.13
2. Jonathan Facio, 9:45.13 | PR | #5 IIAC
30. Brian Rew, 17-08.75
13. Brian Rew, 34-00.75
The Storm go to the Loras Twilight on Friday, May 4 for the final tune-up before the Iowa Conference Championships. The Twilight gets underway at 3:30 p.m. in Dubuque.