PELLA, Iowa – The Simpson men's and women's track & field teams opened up their 2014 season at the Dutch Athletics Classic hosted by the Central track & field team on Friday and Saturday.
The men finished sixth out of the 11 teams and the women placed fifth out of 10.
Both teams travel to Mt. Vernon, Iowa next Saturday to compete in the Cornell Hilltop Invitational hosted by former IIAC member, Cornell College.
- Josh Diehm tied a career-best in the men's high jump, finishing second with a 6-feet, 4.75 in. result
- Nick Yaeger earned a second-place finish in the men's one-mile run in 4:41.28
- Triston Twedt had a strong showing, placing sixth in the 400 meters (53.52)
- Miles Kirts logged a third-place finish in the 1,000-meter run (2:39.12)
- Freshman Isaac Frazier, multi-event specialist, secured the best height (6-05 ft.) during the heptathlon high jump
- Bayley Fleshner finished third in the 55-meter hurdles (8.90)
- Sarah Ney recorded a fifth-place showing in the 200 (27.50)
- Freshman Larissa Backhaus opened up her track campaign with a fourth-place finish in the 600 (1:45.60)
- Lauren Doocy, coming off an injury-riddled 2013 track season, finished sixth in the mile (5:54.04)
- Mary Doherty earned a fifth-place spot in the pole vault (7-6 1/2)