MOUNT VERNON, Iowa -- The Simpson men's tennis team traveled to northwestern Iowa to compete in two nonconference duals on Saturday, losing to Elmhurst and Cornell.
The Storm move to 1-3 after the first full week of spring competition after falling 7-2 to the Blue Jays and 5-4 to the Rams.
Elmhurst 7, SImpson 2
Matt Turnley was the sole member of the Storm to capture a singles match win. Turnley defeated Grant O'Connell of Elmhurst handedly in two sets at No. 3 singles, 6-2, 6-3. Ethan Humble, Aaron Price, and Caleb Vasconez all forced their opponents to third sets, but failed to secure wins.
In doubles play, Price and Vasconez highlighted Simpson with a dominant 8-4 win over Blue Jays' duo at No. 3 doubles.
Cornell 5, Simpson 4
In his No. 4 singles match, Price secured a win, 6-1, 6-4. Vasconez also prevailed in his match against Cornell's Koichi Okazaki, 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 6 singles bout. Ethan Humble managed to bring his match to a third set, but fell 10-5 at No. 5 singles.
Later, Price and Vasconez teamed up for their second doubles win of the day in an extra set thriller 8-7, (7-4). Turnley and Humble also squeaked out a close 8-6 victory, giving Simpson two wins in doubles competition against the Rams.
The Storm return to the courts in two weeks for another doubleheader, this time against Wheaton and Coe in Cedar Rapids, Iowa on Saturday, Feb. 22.
Elmhurst 7, Simpson 2
1. Tomas Bella (ELM) def. Reade Reiter. 6-0, 6-0
2. Shawn Sabaricos (ELM) def. Brett Dewerff, 6-0, 6-3
3. Matt Turnley (SIM) def. Grant O'Connell, 6-2, 6-3
4. Florin Stan (ELM) def. Aaron Price, 7-5, 4-6, 10-3
5. Bradon Fullmer (ELM) def. Ethan Humble, 6-1, 1-6, 12-10
6. Reid Bertsche (ELM) def. Caleb Vasconez, 3-6, 7-5, 10-5
1. Shawn Sabaricos/Tomas Bella (ELM) def. Reade Reiter/Brett Dewerff, 8-3
2. Grant O'Connell/Brandon Fullmer (ELM) def. Matt Turnley/Ethan Humble, 8-2
3. Aaron Price/Caleb Vasconez (SIM) def.Tavious Imperial/Florin Stan, 8-4
Cornell 5, Simpson 4
1.Shoma Kishimoto (CCM) def. Reade Reiter. 6-0, 6-0
2. Hayden Dzurisin (CCM) def. Brett Dewerff, 6-0, 6-3,
3. Nick Adamou (CCM) def. Matt Turnley, 6-2, 6-3
4. Aaron Price (SIM) def. Drew Arnold, 6-1, 6-4
5. Alejandro Colorado (CCM) def. Ethan Humble, 6-4, 3-6, 10-5
6. Caleb Vasconez (SIM) def. Koichi Okazaki, 6-2, 6-3
1. Shoma Kishimoto/Hayden Dzurisin (CCM) def. Reade Reiter/Brett Dewerff, 8-0
2. Matt Turnley/Ethan Humble (SIM) def. Alejandro Colorado/Drew Arnold, 8-6
3. Aaron Price/Caleb Vasconez (SIM) def.Nick Adamou/Koichi Okazaki, 8-7 (7-4)