MOUNT VERNON, Iowa -- The Simpson men's tennis team kicked off its spring slate on Saturday at Cornell, but the Storm were unable to come away with a win and lost 7-2.
Karson Richardson picked up Simpson's (0-2) lone victory in singles play. At the No. 6 singles spot, Richardson gave up two games combined in both sets and won 6-2, 6-0 to earn a point for the Storm against the Rams (1-0).
The tandem of Matt Turnley and AJ Jackson claimed another victory for Simpson at the No. 2 doubles slot. Turnley and Jackson went into a tiebreaker and pulled away to win 7-5 and ultimately won the set at 8-7.
Brett Dewerff put up a good fight at No. 4 singles and sent the first first set into a tiebreaker but could not come out on top and lost 7-6 (7-1), 6-4.
The Storm are back on the court on Saturday, Feb. 23 at Principia. Simpson will also compete against Webster, both matches will be in Elsah, Ill.
Cornell 7, Simpson 2
1. Shomas Kishimoto (CCM) def. Zach Nelson (SIMM) 6-1, 6-0
2. Hayden Dzurisin (CCM) def. Reade Reiter (SIMM) 6-0, 6-2
3. Tom Greene (CCM) def. Matt Turnley (SIMM) 6-1, 6-1
4. Drew Arnold (CCM) def. Brett Dewerff (SIMM) 7-6 (7-1), 6-4
5. Nick Adamou (CCM) def. Peter Walkwitz (SIMM) 6-1, 6-4
6. Karson Richardson (SIMM) def. Jonah Hildebrandt (CCM) 6-2, 6-0
1. Shomas Kishimoto/Hayden Dzurisin (CCM) def. Zach Nelson/Reade Reiter (SIMM) 8-0
2. Matt Turnley/AJ Jackson (SIMM) def. Tom Greene/Drew Arnold (CCM) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Nick Adamou/Connor Schanen (CCM) def. Brett Dewerff/Peter Walkwitz (SIMM) 8-4