OWATONNA, Minn. - The Simpson men's tennis team dropped the first match on its weekend trip to the Land of 10,000 Lakes, falling to Northwestern (Minn.) 5-4 on Friday night.
The loss left the Storm (0-4) still in search of their first win on the young season. A tiebreak loss at No. 2 doubles proved to be the difference in the match as Peter Reitgraf and Geoff Converse lost 9-8 (7-3).
The duo of Connor Barnard and Jeff Armstrong gave Simpson three wins on the night. They teammed up for an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles, Barnard earned a 7-5, 7-5 win at No. 2 singles and Armstrong was tied 2-2 in the first set before winning by injury default at No. 3. Adam Weiser added a 7-5, 6-3 win at No. 6.
Simpson faces Ripon and Bethany Lutheran in Owatonna on Saturday.
1. Barnard/Armstrong (SIM) def. Lloyd/Kimball, 8-6
2. Jacobus/Grasto (NW) def. Reitgraf/Converse, 9-8 (7-3)
3. Magruder/Main (NW) def. Smith/Weiser, 8-3
1. Lloyd (NW) def. Reitgraf, 6-1, 6-2
2. Barnard (SIM) def. Jacobus, 7-5, 7-5
3. Armstrong (SIM) def. Grasto, 2-2 (inj)
4. Kimball (NW) def. Converse, 6-2, 6-0
5. Magruder (NW) def. Smith, 7-5, 6-1
6. Weiser (SIM) def. Flias, 7-5, 6-3