CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- After competing in the Pioneer Classic over the weekend, Danny Turner and Sarah Prendergast were both selected as the American Rivers Conference Men's and Women's Swimming and Diving Performers of the Week, becoming the first Storm duo to receive the award in the same week.
Aside from Turner claiming three top-10 finishes at the meet, the freshman broke the school record in the 100-yard breaststroke with a blistering time of 59.43 to highlight his weekend. His time surpassed the previous record of 1:00.20 set by Kyle McKim on Feb. 13, 2015.
Prendergast had a stellar day on Saturday with three top-10 results in the pool. The junior earned placings of fifth, eighth and 10th to help the Storm women.
Turner, Prendergast and the rest of the Simpson swimming and diving teams return to action on Thursday, Jan. 9 in Abilene, Texas for a dual against McMurry University.
To view the American Rivers Conference Athletes of the Week release, click here.
Danny Turner | Men's Swimming and Diving Performer of the Week
• Freshman from Panora, Iowa
• Broke the school record in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 59.43 to clip the previous best of 1:00.20
• Ended first in the 100-yard breaststroke in a group of 47 swimmers
• Tallied second in the 200-yard breaststroke with a season-best mark of 2:11.87 and finished seventh in the 100-yard individual medley race
• Scored all 61 of the team's points at the Pioneer Classic
• Second time this season being selected as the A-R-C Men's Swimming and Diving Performer of the Week
Sarah Prendergast | Women's Swimming and Diving Performer of the Week
• Junior from Newton, Iowa
• Recorded a fifth-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 56.80, her best this season
• Added another top-10 result in the 200-yard freestyle by hitting the wall in 2:04.36 for 10th place
• Part of the 800-yard freestyle relay that ended eighth with help from Madison DePover, Caroline Oberg and Alyssa Harris
• This is her first A-R-C weekly award