Jan 31, 2014
GRINNELL, Iowa –The Simpson men's and women's swimming teams made an impact with five wins and five runner-up finishes in a double dual against the University of Nebraska-Lincoln swimming club and the Grinnell Pioneers.
On the men's side Nebraska-Lincoln narrowly defeated Simpson, 99-93, but lost to Grinnell, 134-63. Simpson also dropped their contest against Grinnell, 142-65.
Mitchell Madson (5:31.33) and Scott Wailes (5:47.42) highlighted the Simpson men after sweeping the top two spots in the 500-yard freestyle. Kyle McKim earned the win in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:02.61. JJ Hansen came away victorious in the 1-meter diving competition scoring 128.70 points.
On the women's side Simpson downed Nebraska-Lincoln, 89-18, but fell to Grinnell, 131-65. Grinnell outdid Nebraska-Lincoln, 128-87.
Malia Meyer claimed a first place finish in the 100-yard freestyle (1:00.84). It was followed up by a team effort as the 200-yard freestyle relay of Meyer, Erica Carlson, Katie Rubins, and Haley Blum won in a time of 1:52.73.
Both teams take their talents to the Liberal Arts Championships on Feb. 13-15 in Principia, Ill.
Other men's highlights
- McKim placed second in the 200-yard individual medley (2:12.89) and fourth place in the 100-yard freestyle (52.75)
- Michael Reuter earned a second place finish in the 100-yard backstroke (1:05.28)
- Dylan Gray nabbed a fourth place placing in the 50-yard freestyle (23.34)
- 200-yard freestyle relay team of Nathan Schneider, Wailes, Zack Lindeberg, and James Tillison finished fourth with a time of 1:39.43
- 200-yard medley relay team of Reuter, Kyle, Gray, and Madson placed fifth in 1:47.32
Other women's highlights
- Christina Amburgy earned a runner-up finish in the 50-yard freestyle (26.59)
- Carlson placed second in the 100-yard backstroke (1:10.66)
- Mackenzie Carson finished third in the 1-meter diving competition (160.05) and fifth in the 100-yard backstroke (1:22.32)
- Rubins placed third in the 500-yard freestyle (6:12.03) and third in the 1000-yard freestyle (12:51.10)
- Marissa Stepleton earned a fifth place finish in the 100-yard freestyle (1:04.66)
- Haley Blum finishes fifth in 100-yard breaststroke (1:19.71)
- 200-yard medley relay of Carlson, Megan Lein, Alex Vander Veen, and Amburgy finished fifth in 2:06.03