INDIANOLA, Iowa — Tanner Alderson registered his first career hat-trick, all in a 14-minute span, and the Simpson men's soccer team pulled away for a 4-1 win over Grinnell in the home opener Wednesday.
Alderson's flurry began in the 77th minute and helped the Storm (4-0) break open what was a one-goal game. Simpson was clinging to a 1-0 lead before Alderson went to work.
Colin Robinson gave Simpson a 1-0 lead in the 14th minute with his first goal of the season but Simpson couldn't extend the lead until the final 25 minutes despite playing a majority of the contest in the attacking third.
Leading goal-scorer Antonio DiMarco was held to just one shot for the Pioneers (1-4-1), who were outshot 21-12 on the night. Grinnell has been outscored 11-4 in the second half of games this season.
• Simpson led 1-0 in the 77th minute when Nick Joslyn played a through-ball to Alderson, who found the back of the net for the first time after passing the goalkeeper to make the easy shot from five yards out.
• The Pioneers answered with a goal from Evan Sorenson two minutes later. He went far-post off a corner kick to make it 2-1.
• With Grinnell pushing numbers forward, Alderson found himself unguarded once more on the break for his second goal of the night and a 3-1 Simpson lead in the 89th minute. He recorded his first career hat trick just 52 seconds later with his third goal of the night and sixth on the season from ten yards out.
Head coach Rick Isaacson on the Storm's 4-1 win. pic.twitter.com/lNIzk4dCrK— Simpson Storm Sports (@StormSports) September 14, 2017
"When you create scoring opportunities and statistically dominate a game, the scoreboard has to indicate that domination. We let a disciplined, hard-working Grinnell team hang around longer than we should have." — head coach Rick Isaacson
"I had a couple chances early in the game I didn't finish. I was just happy to find the back of the net at the end of the game to help the team win." — sophomore forward Tanner Alderson
• Tanner Alderson becomes the 19th player in school history to record a hat trick. He has scored 15 goals in the last eleven contests.
• Simpson is now 6-1 in home openers and 4-1-1 against Grinnell under head coach Rick Isaacson.
• Simpson starts the season 4-0 for the first time since the 2012 season.
The Storm travel to Missouri to take on Westminster (Mo.) on Friday at 4 p.m. The Bluejays are 1-2-1 overall, their only win a 4-3 decision against Grinnell.