The Simpson men's basketball team opens Iowa Conference play this week with a home and road split. The Storm host the Buena Vista Beavers at Cowles Fieldhouse on Wednesday, Nov. 29 before going to Lincoln, Neb. to face the Nebraska Wesleyan Prairie Wolves on Saturday, Dec. 2.
Todd Guessford will have the call Wednesday on SimpsonAthletics.com. Pre-game is set to begin following the women's contest.
- The Storm are coming off a 78-69 loss at Grand View on Sunday, Nov. 26. Simpson led by as many as 14 in the first half but the high-powered Vikings shot better than 64 percent from the field in the second half to earn the win.
- After becoming the 20th player in school history to reach 1,000 career points earlier this season, senior forward Sam Amsbaugh continues to move up the charts. He moved into sole possession of 12th on the all-time list following his 29-point performance Sunday. He currently has 1,106 career points.
- Sophomore point guard Conor Riordan has scored in double figures in 4 of 5 games this season and 5 of 6 dating back to last season. The first-year starter is second on the team with 16.6 ppg.
- Simpson's 2-3 start is deceiving as the Storm have played a doozy of a schedule. Simpson's losses have come against a 2017 NCAA Tournament qualifier (Bethel), a 4-1 Wis.-Platteville team, and a Grand View squad that is receiving votes nationally in NAIA Division I.
- After losing four starters to graduation last year, Brad Bjorkgren's squad is still gelling. Of the Storm's nine-man rotation, six either weren't on the team last season or didn't see time in a varsity game. Four of the Storm's primary contributors are trasnfers: Taylor Filbert (North Arkansas College), Kyle Wagner (Morningside), Tyler Stumbo (Dordt) and Aaron Hauser (Marshalltown CC).
Overall: Simpson leads 79-74
Streak: Lost 3
Last meeting: Lost 70-60, 2/1/17 at SIM; Lost 100-89, 1/23/17 at BVU
First meeting: Won 25-18, 1922-23
Overall: Nebraska Wesleyan leads 27-20
Streak: Lost 6
Last Meeting: Lost 73-72, 2/4/17 at NWU; Lost 92-81, 1/4/17 at SIM
First Meeting: Won 49-33, 1906-07
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
Buena Vista — The Beavers gave head coach Brian Van Haaften his 400th career victory last Saturday with a 142-128 win over Greenville, setting a new school record for points in the process. IIAC co-Player of the Week David Jeffries averages 20 ppg to lead Buena Vista's attack. He is shooting better than 57 percent form the field and 66 percent from downtown. Four players in the lineup average better than 10 ppg.
Nebraska Wesleyan — The Prairie Wolves and fourth-year head coach Dale Wellman improved to 4-0 on the season with a 95-78 win over Bethany Lutheran on Saturday at the NWU Snyder Classic. The high-powered NWU squad is averaging 103 ppg and has been held below 95 just once, a 78-67 win against Northwestern (Minn.). IIAC co-Player of the Week Cooper Cook leads the charge with 24 ppg and 7.5 rpg to go along with a team-high 18 3-pointers. The Prairie Wolves hit better than 14 3s per game.