CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Simpson football players Ryan Lehr and Tanner Krueger have been named American Rivers Conference Players of the Week for the period ending Sunday, Sept. 30, the league office announced Monday. Lehr is the Defensive Player and Male Athlete of the Week while Krueger is the Offensive Player of the Week.
The duo was recognized for their efforts during the Storm's 37-36 overtime win over Wartburg on Saturday, Sept. 29. Lehr earns Defensive Player of the Week honors for the second time in his career while Krueger is a first time honoree.
Simpson hosts Coe this Saturday, Oct. 6 for the annual homecoming game.
Male Athlete of the Week, Defensive Player of the Week
- Junior strong safety from Indianola, Iowa
- Made 12 tackles and two tackles for loss
- Returned a blocked extra point 98 yards for two points to keep it a one-possession game in the fourth quarter
- Also recovered a fumble on a second-quarter kickoff
Offensive Player of the Week
- Junior quarterback from Waverly, Iowa
- Threw for a career-high 329 yards and four TDs on 23-for-52 passing
- Caught the game-winning two-point conversion in overtime from wide receiver Austin Hronich on a play known as the Philly Special, a reverse wide-receiver pass play made famous by quarterback Nick Foles and the Philadelphia Eagles in Super Bowl LII
- Led the game-tying drive that resulted in a 3-yard TD pass with 16 seconds left in regulation to force OT
- Before the two-point conversion, completed a 25-yard TD pass to running back Cam Bunting on fourth-and-10