CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Simpson football players Nathan Hawkins and Michael Connor have been named American Rivers Conference Players of the Week for the period ending Sunday, Sept. 16, the league office announced Tuesday. Hawkins is the Special Teams Player of the Week and Connor is the Defensive Player of the Week.
Both players earned the award based on their performance during the Storm's 27-21 win over Nebraska Wesleyan on Sept. 15. The conference honor is the second for each player.
Simpson is off this week and returns to action Saturday, Sept. 29 at Wartburg.
|Nathan Hawkins | A-R-C Special Teams Player of the Week
• Senior punter from Solon, Iowa
• Averaged 46.6 yards on seven punts in Simpson's win over Nebraska Wesleyan
• Pinned the Prairie Wolves inside their own 20 four times and had two punts of 50-plus yards
• Long punt of 55 yards was fumbled, recovered by the Storm and led to a touchdown
• Leads the conference with 10 punts inside the 20
• Hawkins last won the award on Oct. 22, 2016
|Michael Connor | A-R-C Defensive Player of the Week
• Senior linebacker from Woodward, Iowa
• Made 13 tackles, 1.0 sack and 1.5 tackles for loss in Simpson's win over Nebraska Wesleyan
• Sacked Jonathan Curti on 1st and 10 from the Simpson 47 in the final minutes, slowing NWU's momentum on their potential game-winning drive
• Recorded Simpson's only sack of the game
• Leads the conference with 11.7 tackles per game
• Connor last won the award on Oct. 15, 2017