CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa -- Four members of the Simpson baseball team earned All-Iowa Conference honors for the 2018 season, as voted on by the league's nine head coaches. Kolton Arnold earned first team honors as a designated hitter, Trey Kehoe landed on the second team as a utility player and Tanner Jansen and Noah Sacco were honorable mention picks.
Arnold hit .290 in conference play with four doubles and eight RBIs. Kehoe led the team in conference wins (2) and overall batting average (.340). Jansen paced the team with a 4.54 ERA in conference games and Sacco led the team with a .356 batting average in the league.
Simpson went 8-28 overall and 6-17 in the Iowa Conference under second-year head coach Nathan Roling. The Storm closed the season strong, winning 4 of 6 against IIAC Tournament qualiifers. Simpson took 2 of 3 from Buena Vista on April 27-28 in Indianola before going on the road to win a three-game series at Coe on May 4-5.
Kolton Arnold | All-IIAC First Team
• Freshman designated hitter from Norwalk, Iowa
• Hit .266 overall and .290 in IIAC play
• Enjoyed a seven-game hitting streak from April 2-April 12, hitting .357 with two doubles during the span
• Had a season-high three hits against Central on April 20, going 3-for-4 with a double and two RBIs
• Started 21 games, 10 at DH and nine at third base
Trey Kehoe | All-IIAC Second Team
• Senior pitcher, first baseman and designated hitter from Fort Dodge, Iowa
• Led the team with a .340 overall batting average, hitting .279 in conference play
• Led team with two wins in conference play, going 2-4 with a 5.48 ERA
• Earned both wins on the final day of the season, getting two relief victories in doubleheader sweep of Coe
• Closed the season by hitting .417 with 12 RBIs in final 12 games
Tanner Jansen | Honorable Mention All-IIAC
• Sophomore pitcher from Malcom, Iowa
• Went 2-4 with a 4.83 ERA overall, going 1-3 with a 4.54 ERA in the IIAC
• Led team with 40 strikeouts
• Went 1-1 with a 3.38 ERA in final six appearances, striking out 20 and walking 11
• Struck out seven and allowed eight hits in a complete-game, 10-2 win over Buena Vista on April 27
Noah Sacco | Honorable Mention All-IIAC
• Freshman outfielder from Omaha, Neb.
• Led team with a .356 batting average in conference play, tops in the IIAC among rookie outfielders
• Hit .326 with 11 doubles, one triple and 16 RBIs overall
• Led team in doubles and stolen bases (11) and was second in walks (20)
• Closed season on a six-game hitting streak, hitting .435 with three doubles and four RBIs during the span