Athletic Training Requirements for Student-Athletes
Dear Parents and Athlete:
This letter is in regards to the physical, medical history and insurance forms that need to be completed to fully participate in Storm athletics. To ensure that you are able to begin practice at the start of the season we ask that you watch the video below on how to enter/update your information into ATS. Please fill out all forms online, upload a copy of your insurance card and upload your completed physical as well as mail a copy of it to our head athletic trainer Jason Uhlenhake. All of this MUST be completed in order to compete and practice.
This process is in its second year and this year is the only way to submit most paperwork. Paper copies of the insurance form will not be accepted this year.
If the physical is sent unmarked or to somewhere else, we cannot guarantee receipt. Please note that both the athlete and a parent must sign ALL forms before returning. This not only makes it easier for the Athletic Training Department, but it allows you to begin practice the first day.
We have also experienced some problems when an athlete’s parents’ insurance coverage or an individual’s insurance coverage has changed or expired during the school year. Therefore, please notify the Simpson College Athletic Training Department at 515-961-1873) immediately if this occurs, so we may record the current plan information before an injury occurs.
Simpson College’s cost for our secondary insurance coverage is experience rated and we want to be able to keep this cost as reasonable as possible so we can continue to provide this valuable coverage for our intercollegiate student-athletes.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Jason Uhlenhake MS LAT ATC
701 N C St.
Indianola, IA 50125
Checklist for incoming freshman/returning athletes:
- Log into ATS and enter information. Directions and video are located below under the ATS section.
- Medical History/Physical completed within six months prior to September. First-year students can turn into either Athletic Training or Health Services prior to Aug 1. Medical History must also be completed on ATS.
- Completed secondary insurance form on ATS.
- Copy front and back of student’s primary insurance card into ATS. **Make sure insurance cards are horizontal and not vertical.
- Sickle cell trait test results uploaded and form filled out or completed waiver on ATS.
- If you have been diagnosed with ADHD or ADD, please see information on ATS and located below.
- All forms are .pdf format
Information Regarding Sickle Cell
NATA Consensus Statement: Sickle Cell Trait and the Athlete
ACSM Current Comment: Sickle Cell Trait
ATS How-To Videos