INDIANOLA, Iowa - The Simpson College "S" Club will add three outstanding student-athletes into the College's Athletic Hall of Fame at the annual Red & Gold Celebration, held this Friday, Oct. 5 in Hubbell Hall at the Kent Campus Center.
The 2018 "S" Club Hall of Fame Class features All-American wrestler Dustin Brewer '08, All-American women's basketball player Katelyn Whiton Brelsford '08 and All-American volleyball player Tiffany Everding Goodchild '07.
Four more individuals will receive awards as part of the program: Dick Buxton Award winner Ed Tierney '81; and Double "S" Award winners Erika Amfahr '10, Tom DeSio '73 and Karl Nolin '60.
"We are very proud to announce the 2018 Hall of Fame class," Athletic Director Bob Nutgrass said. "Induction into the Hall of Fame is reserved for a select few and these former student-athletes and coaches are more than qualified. Each one is a great representation of Simpson's long tradition of success. This group of inductees deserves to have their names placed among other Simpson legends."
"S" Club Hall of Fame Class of 2018
Membership in the Hall of Fame is reserved for individuals who have lettered in a varsity sport at Simpson, have outstanding athletic and academic backgrounds and have been successful citizens since their college years.
Katelyn Whiton Brelsford '08 (women's basketball)
• 2-time All-American
• 3-time All-IIAC First Team
• 2008 IIAC MVP, West Region Player of the Year and WBCA First Team All-American
• Ranks third in school history career points, fourth in rebounds and second in steals
• Led Simpson to two IIAC Championships, three IIAC Tournament Championships, four NCAA Tournament berths and two Sweet 16 appearances
Dustin Brewer '08 (wrestling)
• 3-time All-American
• 2004 IIAC Champion at 125 pounds
• Outstanding Wrestler of the 2004 IIAC Tournament
• Third-most wins in school history (43-3 in 2003-04)
• Helped Simpson to top-10 national finishes in three straight seasons
Tiffany Everding Goodchild '07 (volleyball)
• 2006 IIAC MVP
• 2006 Second team All-American and All-Region honoree
• Earned an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship in 2006
• Ranks fifth in school history in career kills, third in digs and ninth in aces
• Led Simpson to a conference championship and an NCAA Tournament appearance as a senior
Dick Buxton and Double "S" Award Winners
The Dick Buxton Award is given to members of the community who have given time and effort in support of athletics at Simpson College while the Double "S" Award is presented to former athletes who have found success in their careers after graduating from Simpson.
Ed Tierney '81 (Dick Buxton Award) — Simpson alum, husband of Vice President for Enrollment, Deb Tierney, and father of Simpson graduates Pat and Kate … volunteers as the grillmaster for the Simpson Guild at home football games.
Erika Amfahr '10 (Double "S" Award) — Standout volleyball player for the Storm from 2004-06 before career was cut short due to brain injuries suffered in a car accident … following a long recovery, returned to Simpson in Fall 2008, graduating in May 2010.
Tom DeSio '73 (Double "S" Award) — Business Law professor at Simpson for past 32 years … attorney with the Polk County Attorney's Office … letterwinner for the Simpson football team.
Karl Nolin, Jr. '60 (Double "S" Award) — Owner and founder of award-winning Nolin Milling, Inc., a steel fabricator in Dickens, Iowa … letterwinner for the Simpson football team.