INDIANOLA, Iowa - The Simpson College "S" Club announced today its Hall of Fame Class of 2017, a group that includes four former student-athletes representing five teams and two legendary coaches. The newest group of honorees will be inducted during the annual Red & Gold Celebration, which will be held Friday, Oct. 13 in Hubbell Hall at the Kent Campus Center.
"We are very proud to announce the 2017 hall of fame class," Director of Athletics Brian Niemuth said. "Induction into the hall of fame is reserved for a select few and these former student-athletes and coaches are more than qualified. Each one is a great representation of Simpson's long tradition of success. This group of inductees deserves to have their names placed among other Simpson legends."
The 2017 "S" Club Hall of Fame class includes:
|Janelle Claiborne Duffy '05 (women's golf)
• Two-time Iowa Conference MVP (2002, 2004) and 2004 IIAC Champion
• National qualifier in 2003 and 2004
• Led Simpson to an IIAC Championship in 2002
• Three-time All-IIAC performer, placing fourth in 2001 and 2002 and first in 2004
||Tiffany Everding Goodchild '07 (volleyball)
• 2006 IIAC MVP
• Led Simpson to a conference championship and an NCAA Tournament appearance as a senior
• Second team All-American and All-Region honoree in 2006
• Earned an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship in 2006
• Ranks fifth in career kills, third in digs and ninth in aces
||Lisa Simpson Klein '91 (women's track & field)
• Six-time All-American and three-time IIAC Champion in the 4x400 relay
• Part of an All-American relay in each of her four years
• Helped Simpson to a second-place national finish in the outdoor 4x400 in 1989
• Holds school records in the outdoor sprint medley relay and indoor 4x400 relay
||Jason Ripke '07 (football, men's track & field)
• Two-time All-American defensive end
• One of just eight players in school history to earn First Team All-IIAC honors three times
• Led Division III with 30.5 tackles for loss in 2004
• Holds school record for career tackles for loss and is second in sacks
• Two-year letterwinner as a javelin thrower on the track team
||Joe Blake '71 (assistant baseball coach)
• Served as pitching coach from 1985-2015
• Coached 28 all-conference pitchers and helped Simpson to four IIAC championships
• Helped the 1991 squad to the Division III World Series
• Also a member of the Hall of Fame as an athlete
• Passed away in 2015
||Henry Christowski (head softball coach)
• Went went 624-212-2 in 20 seasons (1996-2015), Simpson's all-time winningest softball coach
• Two-time national champion (1997 and 1999)
• Won four NCAA Regional titles, five IIAC titles and went to the NCAA Tournament nine times
• Three-time IIAC Coach of the Year and 1997 Division III National Coach of the Year
• Inducted into the NFCA Hall of Fame in 2007
In addition to these inductees, Simpson will also recognize the annual Dick Buxton and Double "S" Award winners. The Dick Buxton Award is given to members of the community who have given time and effort in support of athletics at Simpson College while the Double "S" Award is presented to former athletes who have found success in their careers after graduating from Simpson.
The 2017 award winners are:
- Barb McMurry (Dick Buxton Award) — Long-time volunteer at the Wayne Carse Athletic Benefit and generous benefactor to the athletic program.
- Kandi Kaster Baxter '81 (Double "S" Award, women's basketball) — Long-time teacher and coach at West Harrison High School … named Cross Country Regional Coach of the Year in 2016 ... passed away in 2017.
- Ed Johnson '88 (Double "S" Award, baseball) — School administrator and current principal at Whittier Elementary School in Indianola, Iowa.
- Karl Nolin, Jr. '60 (Double "S" Award, football) — Owner of award-winning Nolan Milling, Inc., a steel fabricator in Dickens, Iowa.